- My game crashes to the desktop without a warning
- I get the message Sims 3 has stopped working
When your game crashes, it usually leaves files (xcpt*.txt & *.mdmp) your user directory. You can analyze those with the Crash Log Analyzer by FordGT90Concept or simply delete. If the game does not write such files, the crash pinpoints to a hardware issue
There are many causes to this issue and so are the solutions. You can try the following suggestions. Make sure to save your game often under a different name and keep Backups of your stuff.
- Game Help:Data Execution Prevention (DEP)
As of patch 1.22/Generations there is only one file that needs to be added and that is the ts3w.exe found in the base game installation folder.
If you continue to have crashes with Showtime, make sure the file ts3EP06.exe in the Shwotime directory is also added to DEP. Make sure to restart your computer after each change to DEP.
- Game Help:Late Night Crash
- Incompatible Mods: Replace with new version or remove.
- Disable Custom Content
- Bypass the launcher and start the game through the ts3w.exe
- BAD CC: Crash
- Game Help:BasementPool Crash (same probably applies for the platform tool)
- Corrupt save games can cause crashes. Try saving your Sims to the bin and move them to a new hood.
- Seasons has an issue with building walls and second stories to your house. The game crashes on saving. EA is working on that.
- Server Connections Issue (SimPort, social features)
- Play in windowed mode
- If you have only DirectX 10 or 11 on your system, try installing DirectX 9 as well
- For Vista / Win 7 Users: Right-click on the shortcut/exe file, choose properties – compatibility and change the following setting (these are translation, the actual option might be called differently)
- Run in Windows XP (ServicePack 2) compatibility mode
- Turn off visual design
- Turn off desktop-design
- Run as administrator
- Large savegames require lots of RAM. Upgrade to a 64-bit operating system and 4-6 GB of RAM.
- If you are using MasterController but not StoryProgression, make sure to NOT install MC Progression (that part has to do with StoryProgression)
- Turn off all background programs
- Defective hardware
- clean out your computer (especially the ventilator)
- insufficient hardware