This problem exists in two variations
- My Sim disappears when arriving at the vacation destination. The UI is loaded without the Sim and therefore it’s empty
- I travel with a group of people but when arriving at the vacation destination one or more of the Sims are missing.
- This is not really a bug but more the symptom of one. There’s an error in the game that causes the game to not be able to load the interface properly, resulting in the empty UI. There are several issues in the game that can cause this.
- Sims that travel together must know each other. Sometimes that is not the case for Sims in the same household if they have never interacted.
- Load a older backup and try again. Make sure to save before going on vacation so that you don’t have to go to far back if you get the error. It is possible that the error occurs reproducible every time though.
- If you can reproduce the error every time you try after loading a backup, try switching active families, save the game, then switch back and go traveling again (Credit to davebignell)
- Before going traveling, make sure to empty out any items from your family inventory, especially gifts you have received (Celebrity and otherwise). (Credit to DarkAmaranth1966)
Steps you can try if you don’t have a backup or the error occurs reproducible
The following methods might be able to save your town. I did not try those myself, trying is at your own risk.
Make sure they know each other before sending them on vacation.
Mods that solves the problem
Twallan has re-written the EA system with Traveler. He hasn’t cured every single cause for this issue but if you do have the issue, you get a scriptError which can be posted at Twallan’s wiki.